Full planning permission was granted in 2019 for the £150m Winter Gardens development, which will be a landmark scheme for Bournemouth, transforming a long-neglected site into a stunning modern town centre community for residents of the development and the wider town.
Winter Gardens has been designed with the future in mind, creating a distinctive, green destination in the centre of town enabling communities to live in the town centre. It will include:
- Over 350 new homes for a mix of tenants built to the highest environmental standards, making them affordable to run now and in the future.
- A large new, multi-functional public space on a significant part of the Grand Garden Walk, linking the Hilton Hotel, BH2, and Winter Gardens to the Lower Gardens.
- Construction materials that provide a ‘fabric first’ approach to maximise the performance of the components and materials that, in turn, help improve the energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions of the development.
- Features designed to encourage people to reduce their carbon footprints by providing town centre living, cycle storage, electric vehicle charging points, modern heating solutions and green roofs.
- A design strategy that used small footprint buildings to maximise the amount of public and private green space across the development and encourage sunlight into these areas.
- A Green Corridor that maintains the mature trees and green spaces along the edges of the site to provide public amenity and play space while also providing separation to the existing buildings to the north of the site.